An irreverent take on gardening in the Midwest by a frequently disgruntled gardener.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Shittiest. Flowerbed. Ever.

In an attempt to create a sort of unified bed with some kind of design coherence, I planted a bunch of lilies all together.  However, this was before I read The Garden Design Primer, which sensibly suggests planting in drifts, to avoid this kind of random placement.  It really does look much better to put plants into groups of three, five, or seven of the same exact plant.

Here's what this bed looked like on July 20, at it's "best":



I want to divide and move these lilies so that I have big, eye-soothing drifts of the best colors mixed in with drifts of two or three other types of plants.  Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till they're in full bloom since I neglected to label them this year so I'd know which is which later this fall or early next spring.  Another timing disaster!

Here's what it looks like now, on August 12:

Ugh.

The other problem is that while daylilies look nice individually, they don't last and so each plant has lots of dead flowers or empty stems.  It's really a plant that is best up close:


Frankly, even up close it's not that great.  I suppose you have to deadhead every five minutes to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment