An irreverent take on gardening in the Midwest by a frequently disgruntled gardener.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Compostable "Plastic" (or do I mean "Compostable" Plastic?)


I use those cornstarch compost bags to make our compost pail a bit easier to clean, but I'm not convinced they are actually compostable.  Maybe it's my horrible non-cooking compost, but this bag has been in the pile for quite some time and seems to be in pretty good shape.  I fear that it's not going to break down for another year or two.  I suppose that's better than the hundreds of years that some scientists think it would take for plastic to degrade.

Someone sent me a book in biodegradable bubble wrap last May and I dutifully brought it (the bubble wrap, not the textbook) home from work and threw it on the compost.  I found it, in pristine shape, last week when I redid my compost.  I'm afraid the manufacturers of bio plastic worry too much about performance and not enough about degradability.  Which reminds me of a great book, Alan Weisman's The World Without Us, which describes how long all our crap would continue mucking up the earth if human beings disappeared tomorrow.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment