An irreverent take on gardening in the Midwest by a frequently disgruntled gardener.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oh My God I Hate Fall


What a mess.  A couple of years ago my neighbor and I were raking and chatting and we came up with a brilliant plan to hang nets underneath all of our trees, like aerial condoms, that would gather all the leaves together and which we could then neatly deposit into a massive compost pile all at once.  Somehow this never seemed practicable--I so wish I'd majored in something useful like engineering.

I want to just let the leaves do what leaves naturally do in my perennial gardens, except that they mess up my self-seeding annuals.  I've had moss roses coming back in one spot for years, and then last fall I was lazy, so this spring I had to plant new starter plants.  Besides that little issue, however, doesn't it seem like the leaves should just be allowed to break down and enrich the soil where they fall?  Last spring I actually bought partially composted leaves to put on the gardens!  How does it make sense to spend a lot of time removing leaves, only to reapply them later?


No comments:

Post a Comment